As in all countries, in Canada the observance of speed limit is also strictly controlled. If there is no additional information on the traffic signs, means that the general speed limitations are valid in this area:
- within the city – 50km/h
- outside the city – 80 km/h
- for highways – 100 km/h
Watch the traffic signs and indicators, as they can specify the limitations within peculiar areas.
Parking of a rented car in Canada
Parkings in Canada are divided into municipal, private, and parkings in inhabited areas. Most of the parking lots are state. There are many of them in the centres of the cities and close to tourist areas. There are municipal parking meters (along the roads) and also paid parkings. If you plan to leave a car for short time, it's better to use a parking meter where one hour costs 4 Canadian dollars. Standard paid parkings cost also 2 dollars for half an hour, however the price decreases with every hour if parking is used for a long time.
Private parking lots can be both paid and free. Usually these parking lots are near the shops and supermarkets, cafes and restaurants, beauty salons. They belong to these places and are intended for their clients. As a rule, time for parking is limited by two hours.
Observe the traffic rules when driving a rented car in Canada
There are not so many traffic rules in Canada. Generally, they present such evident things like observance of the speed limitations and traffic signs, stop to red traffic light. The Canadian rules are rather simple and can be easily interpreted. Much attention is paid to accident free traffic. You have to let the pedestrians cross where necessary, look at mirrors and control the blind area.
There are also some peculiarities of the traffic rules in Canada:
- In spite of the red traffic light, you can turn to the right by letting pass all cars and pedestrians beforehand. It is allowed to turn through the red traffic light in one-way road.
- If you hear signal of ambulance or police, you have to go on the right of the road and stop.
- The traffic light has a blinking red light. It's necessary to stop, let all pass and continue driving. The traffic light has more lights as in other countries.
- It is allowed to turn everywhere without a prohibitory traffic sign.
Fuel in Canada is of high quality. And there are a great number of filling stations, so you will unlikely have any problems with fuel. The average prices for fuel:
- average price for gasoline is 1,25 CAD
- average price for diesel engine is 1,15 CAD
It is prohibited to smoke, use a cell phone and litter in the filling stations. You can fill a car by your own using a credit car. Or go to the cash desk, tell a number of fuel filling column, and pay with cash. Remember that there are 87, 89, and 91 gasoline. 91 gasoline is considered as premium fuel.