Fines for violation of traffic regulations
Fines in Cyprus must not be paid on-site. Tickets are paid in police station or in municipality. See the list of general fines:
- Violation of overtaking rules - € 55
- Smoking in a vehicle in the presence of underage - € 85
- Parking on pavements - € 85
- Not let a pedestrian cross - € 85
- Drinking or eating while driving - € 85
- Passing through red traffic light - € 85
- Absence of a triangular reflector - € 20
- Speeding fine depends on the amount of kilometres exceeded and can be 1-230 EUR. Exceeding the speed limit by 75% leads to the penalty, the amount of which is fixed in the court.
In spite of the fact that fines are not so large in comparison with other European countries, observation of the traffic laws in Cyprus is strictly controlled. So it's better not to violate them.
Speed limitations in Cyprus are indicated on the traffic signs. General limitations are 50 km/h within inhabited areas, 80 km/h outside inhabited areas and 100 km/h for highways. Remember that the more you exceed, the bigger the fine. In addition, watch the traffic signs, as some parts of the roads have their own limitations.
Driving regulations to note renting a car in Cyprus
To make your trip the safest one, we recommend you to become familiar with general traffic laws in Cyprus.
Dim light has to be switched on in one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise.
Children aged to 10 years can go in a car if only a child safety seat is available. Children up to 5 years old must not go in a forward seat.
All passengers must be buckled up.
Using a cell phone while driving a vehicle is also prohibited.
A vehicle must be equipped with two triangular reflectors.
One can fill a vehicle with non-leaded RON 95 or RON 98 petrol and diesel engine. There are no gas fuel stations in Cyprus. Note that it is prohibited to transport gasoline in a can.
Average prices for fuel:
- RON95 petrol - 1.34 EUR
- RON98 petrol - 1.39 EUR
- Diesel engine - 1.41 EUR
Diesel engine is almost equivalent to petrol, so the choice of a car to rent in Cyprus is not conditioned by the engine type.