Penalties for traffic offences in Lisbon
After hiring a vehicle in Lisbon and violating traffic rules, it is better to pay the relevant fine directly to the police officer that levied that fine. Most police vehicles are equipped with portable ATMs. Moreover, you will receive a receipt indicating the possible maximum penalty.
In cases where a foreigner refuses to pay fine, he will be asked to make a deposit to cover the maximum amount possible for the traffic offence committed. In case of disagreement, the officer of the law has the right to withdraw the offender’s driving license and registration papers, and seize the vehicle.
Main traffic offences and penalties:
|Driving on a highway with a speed below 50 km/h
|Stopping on a highway
|Driving on the highway on the reverse
|Crossing a red traffic light
|Ignoring the traffic controller’s signals
|Throwing litter from the car window
|Illegal moving or stopping
|Overtaking on the right.
|Driving on the left lane of a road with two or more lanes when the right lane is free
|Failure to maintain minimum distance to the vehicle in front
|Sudden braking or stopping when the traffic situation does not require so
|Slow movement without the need
|Railroad crossing violations
|Violating give way rules
|Talking on a mobile phone without a hands free while driving
|Failure to fasten seatbelt (passenger or driver seat belt)
|Violation of child restraint requirements
|Turning off the headlights when visibility is poor
|Exceeding the speed limit by up to 30 km/h
|Exceeding the speed limit by up to 60 km/h
|Exceeding the speed limit by 80 km/h and above
|Using a radar detector
Portugal has standard speed limits for vehicles:
- 50 km/h in built-up areas;
- 90 km/h (or 70 km/h with a trailer) for country roads;
- 100 km/h (or 80 km/h with a trailer) for high-speed suburban highways;
- 120 km/h (or 100 km/h with a trailer) for expressways.
The minimum speed limit on highways is 50 km/h. For drivers with less than one year of driving experience, the maximum speed on any road is 90 km/h.
When renting a car in Lisbon, note that parking rules in the city vary depending on the day of the week, time of the day or month..
Main information about parking
- • You can park a car on a one-way street only by direction of movement
- • In residential areas, parking requires the permission of the local residents
- • In some areas, parking from 8.00 AM to 18.00 PM is only by the permission of the company or residents (Cartão de Residente)
- • It is prohibited to park 5 meters before a road intersection, 5 meters after and 25 meters before a bus stop, and 6 meters before and after a tram stop;
- • Prohibition sign Estacionamento Proibido (No Parking) is a crossed-out red line on a blue or white background.
- • Service personnel at car parks is always dressed in a uniform.
Permissible blood alcohol levels
The maximum permissible level of alcohol in the blood for driving in Lisbon is 0.49 ‰. Exceeding this level incurs the following penalties:
|Drunk driving (from 0.5‰ to 0.79 ‰)
|a fine of €250 to €1250 euros and a driving ban for 1 to 12 months
|Drunk driving (from 0.8‰ to 1.19 ‰)
|a fine of €500 to €2500 euros and a driving ban for 2 to 24 months
|Drunk driving (above 1.2 ‰)
|a driving ban for 36 months or a 1-year imprisonment
Unleaded gasoline (98 and 95) and diesel fuel are sold in Lisbon and across Portugal. It is allowed to carry gasoline on cans. Gas stations (LPG) are also everywhere.
Average fuel cost in Lisbon
Driving through some roads and bridges in Portugal is chargeable. The tariff depends on the type of vehicle, which vary in height and number of axles.
Tariffs on suburban roads leading from Lisbon:
|А1 Lisboa — Porto
|А2 Lisboa — VLA (Algarve)
|А5 Lisboa — Cascais
|А8 Lisboa — Leiria
Methods of payment:
- at gates with this sign, you can pay automatically by cash or credit card
- gates with this sign are operated by a person. Cash and credit card are accepted
- gates with this sign are only for ViaVerde subscribers.
On some highways, payment is only by electronic method.
If you are planning to rent a car in Lisbon and travel across the country, you can become a ViaVerde subscriber, by renting a transponder at service stations along the road marked with the appropriate sign or at the company’s offices. The cost depends on the duration of its use. For example, a one-week rent will cost about 6 euros. It is also required to make a deposit of 27 euros for the transponder and a deposit of at most 10 euros.
Driving along the Vasco da Gama Bridge across the Tagus River to the north from Lisbon is chargeable. This route is part of the A12 highway. The toll for passenger cars is 2.60 euros. Payment can be made in cash or by Via Verde or Via Card payment systems. On the north bank of the Tagus River is the 25 de Abril suspension bridge connecting Lisbon and Almada. The toll on this road is 1.60 euros and it is charged only when driving from Almada to Lisbon.