Fines for violation of driving regulations
Depending on what traffic rule is violated, a fine is paid on-site or in bank. See some widely spread violations and fines:
- Overspeeding by 10-50 km/h leads to a fine at 40-800 LTL
- Overspeeding by 50 km/h is punished with a fine at 1000-1500 LTL
- Overtaking in a wrong place – 100-150 LTL fine
- Creating an accident situation on the road – 400-800 LTL fine
- Stopping at pavement – 50-100 LTL fine
Observe speed limitations driving a rented car in Lithuania
If there are no traffic signs that indicate specific speed limits on the road, means that this road has the basic traffic rules:
- speed within the built-up area– 50 km/h
- speed outside the built-up areas – 90 km/h
- speed for highways – 110 km/h
- speed for autobahns – 130 km/h
Violation of the speed limit has rather serious fines, so always try to control your speed of driving.
Blood alcohol content allowed
Maximum blood alcohol content allowed is 0.4 ‰. Note it when you plan to drive after dinner or visiting a bar. Exceeding of this content is penalized with a fine in the amount of 1000-1500 LTL and also with driver's licence confiscation for one year to one year and a half. If blood alcohol content is much exceeded, a fine is 2000-3000 LTL and drivers are confiscated their licences for 2-3 years.
Drivers with driving experience less than two years have restrictions in this matter. Maximum blood alcohol content is 0.2 ‰.
To have no incidents with fines and always have a good mood while travelling, you better observe basic traffic regulations. For example, low beam must be on, irrespectively of the time of the day. It is prohibited to use a cell phone while driving. Children can go in a car in child car safety seats only that conform to their age and weight. In addition, watch the traffic signs, which inform about prohibition or parking rules, and other plates that can contain important information.
In Lithuania one can fill a car with RON95 and RON98 unleaded petrol or diesel engine. RON92 petrol is also rarely available. There are gas filling stations in the country. If you are going to make a long trip, remember that it is allowed to transport a can filled with petrol up to 10 litres.
Average prices for fuel in Lithuania:
- 1 litre of RON95 petrol- 1.38 EUR
- 1 litre of RON98 petrol - 1.40 EUR
- 1 litre of diesel engine - 1.34 EUR