Rules of the road, which should take into account when renting a car in Samui
In order to rent a car in Thailand, the driver must present the right international standard and be over 21 years old. In the rental may be required to pledge a passport, but it is impossible to accept in any case!
Driving on the left hand side of Koh Samui, the roads generally are narrow and without sidewalks, which creates certain difficulties. The island has a lot of motorcyclists who ride, anyhow (a scooter you can ride with for 15 years), so you should be very careful. Most accidents just happen because getting skuterista or rider in the "blind spot" driver's car.
A few rules to keep in mind:
- You can only pass on the right;
- the rule under which large vehicles have the advantage on the road;
- signs on Samui is almost there, so you should be careful triple;
- the flashing lights mean "miss me" and not vice versa, as in Europe;
- lights in the rain should always be included;
- go shirtless prohibited;
- Roads often come across the open hatches that are not labeled with signs or fencing, and branch or bus, so you need to drive very carefully.
The police on the islands of fines less than in the capital of Thailand - Bangkok. Also, the police are more compliant in all that does not apply to driving under the influence. Penalties are also lower than in the capital - an average of 15-30 dollars.
Sometimes the test is carried out on Samui, and then get on a fine can be very easy. Major penalties are as follows:
- for driving under the adult form (bare torso) - 500 baht (about $ 15);
- banned travel on a red light - 400 baht;
- lack of insurance (CTP) - 600 baht;
- Movement in the opposite lane - 400 baht;
- parking in the wrong place - 400 baht.
Allowable alcohol, if you rented a car in Samui
In the driver's blood alcohol allowable rate - 0.5 ppm (beer or wine). If you are pulled over for drunk driving, in the best case it will cost a fine of 20 000 baht, 2 days in prison and deportation. In the worst case - perhaps even a life sentence (if the driver got killed a man in a state of intoxication).
Agreeing with the traffic police in this case did not come out, so be careful. Thai law is harsh and unyielding.
Rent a car can be left on a free or paid parking - a lot of the island, and the problems with space never arises. Paid parking is 20-30 baht per hour.
Generally, you can leave the car wherever there is white-red markings. If you are not sure whether you can park your car here, look, where there are bikes and leave it there.
Koh Samui many petrol stations, where you can buy all fuels, including gasohol, which fueled most Thais. Gasohol - a mixture of gasoline and ethanol, which is derived from palm oil. The cost of the fuel by a third below normal A-92 or A-95.
As on all the islands, where fuel is more expensive: a liter of regular gasoline is 1.3-1.4 dollar a liter of gasohol - about $ 1 per liter.